Friday 10 January 2014

Tactics

I confess I spend too much time reading historical texts on military drill and tactics.  Usually I read a bit and think, 'interesting, I will add that to my favourites' and move to the next page.

I will start to share what I read in this thread.  I came across these two comments in the following article, found in the Royal Militay Chronicle,  1810  on a Course of Tactics, follow link here.



"...in England,  the officers enter the army without any military knowledge whatever. They have everything to learn."


"I regret to say; but France is still the school of war, and by her science, more than even by her numbers, has conquered the Continent. "

An interesting contemporary article on the capability of British army officers.  Further to this again another link from Hoyt's Rules and Regulations for Cavalry, dated 1813, here provides a catalogue of reading for our contemporary officer.  A must read.


No comments:

Post a Comment