Wednesday 19 February 2014

Painting 3mm Figs

Having done some reading on line to seek guidance for painting 3mm figs I would like to share the link that provided the best inspiration for me and to share some pictures of how I got on.

Link on the TMP Napoleonic discussion forum here.

As you will know from earlier posts, I have already painted the full battalion in line but I thought I would include my painting guide in picture form on the light company skirmishers that I have recently completed.  The principle was the same for the close order infantry.


1/
Base coat in brown


2/
Red jackets picked out
3/
Grey trousers picked out
4/
Brown ink wash. I'm still not fully convinced about this as it seem to wash the trousers out. However, it does seem to give some definition

5/
Face and hands picked out
6/
Caps picked out in black and cartridge box followed by a few dabs in white to pick out belts and musket slings
7/
Final finish included;
-green plumes
-blue canteens
-gold for the cap plate
-silver for the musket barrels, then a little highlight in red and grey to pick out the detail:






Hopefully I will get this based soon.  Then that will be my 'Red Battalion' completed in full !

Finished battalion:-
 Company:-
 Sergeants with spontoon's and officers:-


4 comments:

  1. Enjoying the blog! Quick question, was there a reason for undercoating in brown? I am struggling to get a balance between colours being bright enough to be seen at this scale and looking too 'cartoon like' but had not though of brown. Was brown used for the rest of the battalion as well? Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your interest and comments. There was no real reason. I had read the comment of the TMP discussion forum for painting 3mm Napoleonics French, which based in grey. Wasn't sure grey would work for redcoated british, so I plugged for a dark brown. Seems to work well.

      Yes the whole battalion is painted in this fashion. It wasn't until I had painted them all and only had the skirmishers to complete that I thought I would post a step by step guide.

      If you look at the other posts you will see the close order infantry. With the company serjeants I also went to the trouble of fixing sergeants spontoons with very fine wire. An added detail I am quite pleased with.

      I will try to post some better photos this weekend

      Regards

      Delete
  2. It certainly seems to work well - I am going to give it a try. The spontoons are a nice touch and really bring it to life! Look forward to seeing these guys with the rest of the battalion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there. Thought you might be interested to see photos of the finished battalion. See new post

    ReplyDelete